The Weekly Thingdown
Thingdown is a weekly roundup of things — objects, products, stuff — that are lately in the news or otherwise of interest right now.
- Grape-Nuts are an industrial object, with a very devoted following. (My Object of the Week for Marker.)
- Paul Lukas on #saltboxart in Baltimore. Fascinating.
- Reports: There is a bullet shortage.
- A Candle That Smells Like Fresh Sneakers.
- Ancient Toys. Amazing. Somebody should make contemporary versions.
- Alleged: Vibram FiveFingers “toe shoes” are the latest heinous footwear to make a Pandemic comeback. (Bonus: my column on these shoes the first time around, in 2010.)
- IKEA furniture specifically for gamers.
- Sinks specifically for vomiting into.
- The surprisingly interesting history of the bathroom scale.
Follow me on Medium here; follow Marker, where I write about design, brands, and other matters, all in the company of many terrific fellow contributors, here. More about me here; the newsletter associated with my latest book, The Art of Noticing, is here.
Leave your object-related tips in the comments — and have a nice weekend!